This summer I’m teaching a 4-week online workshop, Intro to Criticism & Theory (For the Grad School Curious) designed as a brief introduction to visual theory and criticism through reading, writing, and discussion.
We will examine common critical lenses (feminist, marxist, colonialist, etc.), the importance of context, themes such as the everyday, humor, privilege and difference, as well as a topic selected by the class (I’ll provide a menu of options). We’ll also look at the history of visual theory and criticism, definitions, and why the study of theory and criticism is included in graduate programs.
Students will learn about a number of resources, from anthologies of writing, to topic-specific books. This class is aimed at people who have completed a bachelor’s degree, especially those who might be considering graduate study at some point in the future.
- Four Tuesdays, 6:30-8:00 pm Central Time
- June 28 – July 25, 2021 — online meetings
- No required textbooks (I’ll distribute PDFs of readings)
- Open to students ages 18+
- Register before July 21. If the minimum enrollment is not met by that deadline, the class will be canceled. Registration will remain open after this date if the minimum has been met.
- Register on or before May 10 and save $25.
- Register for more than one class at a time and receive $25 off each additional class (same-day registrations only).
- Additional savings. Are you eligible?
Questions? Contact MCAD Continuing Education at email@example.com or call 612.874.3765.